On April 13, 2023 5:49:30 PM UTC, "Brotman, Alex"
<Alex_Brotman=40comcast....@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:
>> That's the sort of thing I proposed, and which some participants here are
>> objecting to.  I continue not to understand the objection to clear language
>> that
>> says that if you do <this> under <these> conditions, it will cause problems,
>> so
>> don't do <this>.  I don't buy the idea that saying "don't do <this>" when we
>> know
>> that some deployers will ignore that makes us look out of touch with
>> reality, but
>> that *not* saying that is better (when that already *has* given DMARC a bad
>> name in the wider Internet community).
>
>I don’t think folks are objecting to cautionary language.  I think folks are
>objecting to a blanket MUST NOT.  If we're going to qualify the MUST NOT with
>a bunch of language, that's a bit different.   The original proposal was: "To
>be explicitly clear: domains used for general-purpose email MUST NOT deploy a
>DMARC policy of p=reject."  I'm still fuzzy on what constitutes general
>purpose, or perhaps more accurately when p=reject is acceptable?  Is it
>acceptable to use p=quarantine in those cases?  If a domain (such as
>comcast.com) decides p=reject is what they really want .. then what? (I know,
>we're not the protocol police..)

The 'then what' is there will be interoperability issues.  I don't see anyone
claiming that's not true, despite an extreme reluctance (as I see it) to
actually say it.

I don't think saying [some constraining words] domains MUST NOT publish
p=reject should be in any way controversial.  Even if we explicitly add the
implicit 'or there will be interoperability problems', it's no different.  As a
technical point, I don't understand why there is a problem with this.  The
tricky part is defining [some constraining words].

If we could get [some constraining words] defined, I think it would be useful
to the community as it would help address the question of 'but I want p=reject,
what should I do'.  The answer is, change your domain email usage so you no
longer fit the definition of [some constraining words].

It might even be as simple as [unconstrained email usage].  Then we write an
appendix that explains the things to do in terms of constraints that will avoid
(or mostly avoid) the interoperability issues.

I feel like we are making this much harder than it needs to be.

Scott K