I do like your suggestion of silent discard rather than bounce, and I
would want to see that change made -- perhaps with a note that
aggregate reports will still include information about those discards.

Having thought about it for a minute, I have a better question.

We already know that sites that reject list mail for DMARC failures do not care about mailing lists because if they did care, they wouldn't do that. So I think the chances of them making a change that only benfits lists rounds to zero.

Why is it up to the recipient systems (the ones that do not care) to make life easier for lists? Mailing list packages already do lots of analysis of bounce messages. How about if they fix their bounce processing to recognize DMARC failures and do something different. Certainly for the large recipepent systems that handle the bulk of mail these days the rejection messages allcontain words like DMARC or authentication so it's not hard to figure out.

Bonus question: if you send a lot of mail to a recipient system that it rejects, you will get a bad reputation and they are likely to view the mail you send with great scepticism, even for the stuff that survives DMARC. Suppressing the bounce messages only makes it harder to figure out why the mail is all disappearing.

Extra bonus question: how many minutes will it take for spammers to hope that suppressing the bounces will somehow help them evade filters (whether or not that's true) so they'll start putting List-ID on plain old spam?

Regards,
John Levine, jo...@taugh.com, Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY

PS: some of us actaully do want the bounces from our lists, since we have various hacks to evade DMARC and want to know if they don't work. We find this proposal has negative benefit.