On 29 May 2011 19:13, Walter Bright <[email protected]> wrote: > For those doing compiler patches, I know it's a tough job, and thanks! > > But please consider running the dmd test suite (and try to build/run phobos > unittests) before issuing a pull request. There are a lot of > interdependencies in the compiler, and the test suite is designed to flush > them out. The cool thing is the test suite consists of cases that are > already minimized! The suite also is designed to not take that long to run. > > I run it constantly when I do dev on the compiler, and I constantly get > dinged by it for something I overlooked. I consider the D test suite to be a > major asset for us. > > Please use it. If you've got problems using it, please post here and we'll > try to help. >
An idea relayed from Vladimir Panteleev: It could be a good idea to integrate pull requests with the automatic test runner - github has APIs for pull requests, the test runner could pull out the commits, test them, then post a comment on the pull request. I see a few problems with this however: - Added load for the test runner (although, they could be run with low priority and only when there aren't commits to master to test) - Security - if you're testing all pull requests some sort of sandbox would be needed so the patch isn't running rm -rf or something more malicious - More commits can be added to pull requests later on, it would need re-running in this case - The test suite could be altered to make it look like the pull request is fine - although I guess anything that gets integrated will be looked over anyway, so this isn't much of an issue. -- Robert http://octarineparrot.com/
_______________________________________________ dmd-internals mailing list [email protected] http://lists.puremagic.com/mailman/listinfo/dmd-internals
