Hi Fred,

>This looks very close to the way AERO handles RO in the network
>based case. In this case, the AERO Client is analogous to the
>PMIPv6 MAG, and the RO can go MN1<->Client1<->Client2<->MN2.
>
>One of the key differences again is that the AERO NBMA virtual
>link does not require any explicit tunnel configurations. So,
>tunneling between Client1<->Client2 is guided by neighbor cache
>information on the NBMA link.

There is no explicit tunnel configuration in any of the mobility
architectures. The tunnel state creation is dynamic and is created based
on the events from the signaling functions. The tunnel is a standard L3
tunnel with standard encapsulation methods such as GRE, IP-in-IP and UDP.

I'm trying to understand the advantages of this NBMA virtual link. I
assumed the encapsulation is a standard encapsulation such as with UDP.
The specific rules for selection of the IP traffic for tunneling, or
tunnel header selection is a more implementation specific aspect. One can
create a tunnel between two points A and B and apply a policy route, which
state all traffic from MAc-1/IP-1 needs to be encapsulated with tunnel
header A-B. If I'm monitoring the link of a tunneled traffic, I would not
know the difference between traffic tunneled from a NBMA virtual link and
a tunneled traffic with dynamically created tunnels. How we realize
tunneling is internal to the operating system and has no bearing on the
interoperability  ?. Do you agree with this ?

> AERO route optimization is quite different than this. AERO route
optimization is based on a chain-of-trust whereby the RO requests
and replys always come from the Client's trusted Server instead
of an untrusted node. AERO RO is unidirectional - to set up a
bidirectional RO requires two unidirectional ROs. These can
happen simultaneously or separately, and in some cases it may
even be preferable to have only one of the two directions
optimized.

Ok. In MIPv6 RO scheme the MN's trusted entity is the home agent and it
provides the frame work for a CN to trust the MN's relation/association
with its home address (anchored on HA) and its care-of address (direct
route). The approach does not require both the peers to have a mobility
anchor, but the Return Routability test procedure assures any
correspondent node to trust the HoA to CoA relation and use direct routing
paths. I'm not sure how one approach is better over the other.

Again, I've my views against using any client-based solutions for RO
solutions.

Regards
Sri