upcoming revision ....-01.txt

Regards,
Charlie P.

On 9/24/2014 10:48 AM, Sri Gundavelli (sgundave) wrote:
Hi Pierrick,

The NAI that is used in S2a/S5 procedures is a IMSI-NAI, based on 3GPP TS 23.003. It is sent in PBU/PBA messages. Not sure, if IMSI information is seen as a confidential IE. But, I agree on the need to include some text on how the signaling message can be protected with privacy / confidentiality service set, when the identifier is based on some confidential data.

Regards
Sri

From: "pierrick.se...@orange.com <mailto:pierrick.se...@orange.com>" <pierrick.se...@orange.com <mailto:pierrick.se...@orange.com>>
Date: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 8:56 AM
To: "Charles E. Perkins" <charl...@computer.org <mailto:charl...@computer.org>>, "dmm@ietf.org <mailto:dmm@ietf.org>" <dmm@ietf.org <mailto:dmm@ietf.org>> Subject: Re: [DMM] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-perkins-dmm-4283mnids-00.txt

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for the list… it looks good. I’m just wondering about security considerations… Actually, from 3GPP standpoint, security constrains on IMSI and GPRSS/LTE temporary identifiers (P-TMSI, GUTI). AFAIK, IMSI is very rarely sent on the air (maybe only one time at the beginning of the 3GPP authentication process) for security reasons. So, I’m wondering if adding IMSI to the list of IDs, without any warnings, is somehow introducing security weakness to the 3GPP security process. Consequently, I’m not sure about the following statement “This document does not introduce any security mechanisms, and does not have any impact on existing security mechanisms.” It’s maybe not so true from the 3GPP point of view…

Maybe we should state that the ID option MUST be used in a way that it does not harm existing security mechanisms (i.e. use the option with caution J). For example, to address the issue above (maybe there are other examples… I don’t know…), we could state that the IMSI should be transmitted only during first binding update, and not transmitted anymore as long as the association IMSI/HoA/HNP is done…. Or... simpler way to address the issue: if nobody has use-case for transmitting the IMSI, we can simply remove the IMSI from the list J

BR,

Pierrick