On Fri, Feb 9, 2018 at 12:09 AM, Alexandre Petrescu <
alexandre.petre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Le 07/02/2018 à 18:29, Tom Herbert a écrit :
>

>> On Wed, Feb 7, 2018 at 8:49 AM, Alexandre Petrescu <
>> alexandre.petre...@gmail.com <mailto:alexandre.petre...@gmail.com>>
>> wrote:
>>

>> Le 06/02/2018 à 05:52, Lorenzo Colitti a écrit :
>>
>> On Fri, Feb 2, 2018 at 6:27 AM, Tom Herbert <t...@quantonium.net <mailto:
>> t...@quantonium.net> <mailto:t...@quantonium.net
>> <mailto:t...@quantonium.net>>>
>> wrote:
>>
>> We like like to request that the dmm WG consider ILA as a candidate
>> protocol for the 3GPP "Study on User Plane Protocol in 5GC".
>>

>> Echoing Tom's earlier comment about this: I think the address assignment
>> sections (6.3 and 8.3) should be reworded to clarify that
>> for general purpose hosts, best practice is not to use singleton
>> addresses, but always to provide a /64 prefix.
>>

>> I would say a prefix yes, but prefer a /63 and shorter.
>>
>> Alex,
>>
>> I'm curious as to why you'd need even shorter prefixes.
>>

> This is an optional accessory.

> A /63 prefix is beneficial for a Mobile Router, or 'IoT Router', for
> local area tethering, or for in-vehicle networks.  It gets a /63 from
> the ISP and makes two /64s out of it.  One for its WiFi interface and
> one for its Ethernet interface.
>
> Alex,

Why not just get a /64 for WIFI and one for Ethernet? That would be the
common case any way if they are attached to two different providers.

> If it only gets a /64 then it cant make other /64s out of it and it
> can't route.

I'm a bit amused by the phrase "only gets a /64". Assigning a /64 to a
device is the equivalent of assigning four billion IPv4 address spaces
after all! Why not just carve up a /64 into bunch of /96s or something like
that for down stream allocation?

Tom