Dear Sridhar,

It’s nice to see you in DMM list as well. :-)

> [...snip...]

> 1. Section 5.2.2 of the draft says,
>
> UPF2_in : (Z,A)                              -> UPF2 maps the flow w/
>                                            SID list <C1,S1, gNB>
>
> When the packet arrives to the UPF2, the UPF2 will map that
>   particular flow into a UE session.
>
> Does this mean the UPF2 is aware of the gNB the UE is latched on and hence
> after each mobility, the information regarding current gNB is signaled /
> programmed till the UPF2 (which could be the PDU session anchor UPF)?

Right. It’s equivalent with GTP-U case where there’s no N9 along the path.
One significant difference between GTP-U and enhanced mode is that the packets
of PDU sessions which belong to a same SR policy will use same set of SIDs in
the header.

> 2. For traditional mode (basic mode), could you please elaborate on the MTU
> overhead being less than GTPU? GTPU encap MTU overhead = 20 octets outer IPv4
> header + 8 octets UDP header + 12 octets GTPU header + Extension header for
> QFI. SRv6 encap MTU overhead = 40 octets IPv6 header + EH for carrying QFI
> (this part is not clear - see my next question). In your blog
> https://blog.apnic.net/2018/03/07/reducing-complexity-5g-networks-using-segment-routing-ipv6/
>  I noticed in Fig.1 the MPLS / TE headers included in calculation. So does
> the MTU overhead saving talked about for SRv6 assume that underlay TE
> technologies are replaced? It is not clear from the draft. If there are any
> other drafts that provide a clear calculation on the MTU savings, could you
> please point to them?

I hope that the following spreadsheet helps for that purpose. I’ve updated it
align to the latest draft after I shared it in last month.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Fx8ilE_bQPkhFBoSd-qRS5ok2IO1i0VZbmwzZJNVh0g/edit?usp=sharing

As the draft says that traditional mode is as same as existing user plane
protocol, it is also equivalent in terms of overhead size.
You can find that both GTP-U and traditional mode of SRv6 cost 58 bytes as the
overhead.

> 3. How to encode QFI, RQI in SRv6 (both traditional mode and enhanced mode)?
> In GTPU the QFI/RQI markings are carried in a GTPU extension header, defined
> as a container. Please refer the following documents for details

Thank you for those latest references! Actually I was seeking them from last
CT4 meeting folder. ;-)

And yes, we still leave it at this time since defining 3GPP specific extension
headers and messages should be up to 3GPP decision.
We don’t want to violate that responsibility. Nevertheless, in case that those
GTP-U extension header and messages are carried as its encoding, TLV in SRH
would work to do that with just one or few code points to 3GPP which looks not
big deal. If you are interested, it would be nice if we can write a draft with
that idea with you and John.

Cheers,
--satoru