On 18/07/2015 10:49, Laurent Bercot wrote:
>  Believe me, providing sysv-rc compatibility when you're working on
> a supervision suite is no small feat: the paradigm is very different,
> ..... If it was easy, we would have provided compatibility packages
> long ago, and supervision would already rule the world (with a gentle,
> good hand).

I am not saying that runit is better as s6 - all I want to point out is
that debian runit, until recently, intergrates fairly well with sysv-rc.

Yes, the supervised services do need their own service-framework with
their own scripts. For me (as a simple user) the hard nut to crack was
to write stubs and a script which during a debian-update translate the
inet-calls to sv-calls without insserv telling me to take a hike.

I succeded because I accepted the fact that I have the standard
lsb-sysv-scripts in /etc/init.d/ and that the underlying dpkg-system
does use these scripts.

I fully agree with Laurent's sentiments that it is not as simple...
IMHO, it is doeable to make it compatible against an init-system
wich is the required default by the package-manager - but without
an aggreed standard it will get out of hand.

my 2cents

Fred

BTW, and what about rcS, rc0 and rc6....a complete re-write?
Naah... KISS... use what we got! Strictly my opinion.