Quoting Alessandro Selli <alessandrose...@linux.com>:

Il giorno Wed, 04 Jan 2017 05:53:56 -0500
Dan Purgert <d...@djph.net> ha scritto:

Quoting Alessandro Selli <alessandrose...@linux.com>:

> On Tue, 3 Jan 2017 at 22:03:47 +0000 Arnt Gulbrandsen
> <a...@gulbrandsen.priv.no> wrote:
>
>> Alessandro Selli writes:
>>>   This still doesn't explain why they decided to force-feed Google's DNS
>>> server on the user without prompting the poor fellow any possible
>>> choice.
>>
>> "Your network sucks. Do you want to [ ] use google or [ ] just give up?"
>
>   "Your network stinks.  What DNS servers do you want to use?
>
> [...]
> [ ] Pick random ones
> [ ] Pick the geographically closest ones
> [ ] No DNS configuration now
>
>  Given there is choice, why artificially limit people's possibility to
> choose how to skrew their networking up they way they enjoy it most?  :-)
> BTW, I'd set FoolDNS as the default choice! ;-)

I counter that these three (or at least "no config now") should be on
top of the list.

  Well yes, this is much better:

[ ] Pick random ones
[ ] Pick the geographically closest ones
[ ] Show a list of public DNS servers to choose from
[ ] No DNS configuration now

  What do you think?

I'm kind of envisioning this as part of the initial system setup, so a little more like this. Though I fully admit caffeine hasn't kicked in yet, so I may be spouting more crazy than normal :).

[*] No DNS config (warning - may limit ability to install optional components)
[ ] Pick geographically closest
[ ] Pick Random
[ ] Custom
    DNS1 [_________________] (required if 'custom')
    DNS2 [_________________] (optional)

(Buttons / options at the bottom)

[BACK]   [List Public DNS Servers]   [OK]

--
|_|O|_| Registered Linux user #585947