Am 03/07/2017 um 17:34 schrieb dev:
> On 07/03/2017 10:17 AM, Evilham wrote:
>> Am 03/07/2017 um 17:06 schrieb dev:
>>> Would this be a good case to dis-allow ^0-9 by default but add a switch
>>> to allow it?
>>
>> What's the case for disallowing those at all? names starting with a
>> digit _are_ valid usernames.
>

> useradd and adduser work differently. One allows it, the other does not.
> Just thought 'why not make them work the same?'. That's all.

That's the thing, we can do that :-) probably should, but the "right
way" (from a standards point of view) would be to actually allow those
names ^^ not to disallow them. So instead of modifying the way useradd
works, the way adduser works should be fixed (so, shadow).

> Yes, seems to me it would be a patch with upstream, not Devuan. Most
> likely this whole thing pointless since AD and SAMBA would break because
> of changing it. :/

I think allowing those previously disallowed users in shadow would not
have a negative influence on AD / SAMBA integrations, maybe even a
positive one. (Plus: better OS consistency).
--
Evilham