On Sun, 23 Jul 2017 00:32:11 -0700
Rick Moen <r...@linuxmafia.com> wrote:

> And, by the way, Steve Litt's scenario of Linux expansion in various
> Third World countries using scrounged P4 machines is also cheering,
> except for the bit about paying for the rather high amount of
> electricity they draw, which makes them a poor deal compared to more
> modern machines even if the latter cost more.  Unless you own your own
> hydroelectric or photovoltaic plant, electricity isn't free.

Hallo Rick,

this may be true from the consumer's point of view, but apparently, the
energy needed to produce a new computer can exceed its lifetime savings
by far. Quote from the German "Umweltbundesamt" (environmental agency):

| The production of a laptop consumes so much energy that for energetic
| reasons it is never worthwhile to exchange an old, still functional
| device for a new, more energy-efficient device. If the new laptop is
| ten percent more economical than the old one, it would have to be used
| for almost 90 years, until it was worthwhile - from the point of view
| of climate protection. Even if the new laptop - unrealistic - requires
| 70% less power, it would have to be used for around 13 years, until it
| has paid for itself energetically. There are, of course, many good
| reasons to buy a new computer. Energy saving is not part of it. [1]
| (google translation)

Not sure, how up-to-date / backed this information is, especially for
the trending SBCs - but I think that the environmental aspects of the
production are a heavy argument for supporting older hardware.

libre Grüße,

Florian

NB: I am aware that this thread's discussion originates from an opinion
    on Cinnamon DE:

| On Fri, 21 Jul 2017 23:01:44 +0200
| Dragan FOSS <dragan.f...@gmx.com> wrote:
|
| > On 07/21/2017 09:02 PM, goli...@dyne.org wrote:
| > > <AntoFox> Cinnamon 3.0.x (only amd64)
| >
| > I think it's best to drop 32-bit support at all... it's such a waste
| > of time and resources.

[1]
http://www.umweltbundesamt.de/umwelttipps-fuer-den-alltag/elektrogeraete/computer-pc-laptop#textpart-3