On August 12, 2017 9:39:27 AM ADT, fsmithred <fsmith...@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 08/11/2017 09:16 PM, Ed Fletcher wrote:
>
>> Where I'm stuck is here:
>>
>> nvidia-vdpau-driver : Depends: libvdpau1 (>= 0.9) but 0.8-3+deb8u2 is
>> be installed
>>
>> Which is odd since jessie-backports main has this:
>>
>> Package: libvdpau1
>> Source: libvdpau
>> Version: 1.1.1-1~bpo8+1
>>
>> Version 1.1.1 should be installing, which would satisfy the
>dependency.
>> However, it seems to be invisible to apt-get.
>>

>Did you tell apt-get to install libvdpau1 from backports? Something
>like:
>  apt-get -t jessie-backports install nvidia-whatever* libvdpau1
>
>* I don't know the current package names to use. Maybe nvidia-driver
>(metapackage) is enough.
>
>fsmithred

Thanks fsmithred.  Got it with:

# apt-get -t jessie-backports install libvdpau1
# apt-get -t jessie-backports install nvidia-driver
# reboot

Hmm, bash screen, no windows.

# nvidia-settings

Says to run nvidia-xconfig.  I find that in jessie contrib, add contrib to
sources.list, update, upgrade.

# apt-get install nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig

It complains that xorg is not installed.  This is where things went sideways.
I followed the directions on -

git.devuan.org/dev1fanboy/Upgrade-install-Devuan/wikis/Minimal-xorg-install

because it seemed to be a solution.  Now startx gives me:

Fatal server error: (EE) no screens found
xinit: unable to connect to X server

# apt-get install --reinstall x-window-system

startx still fails.

I'm not sure if I've completely pooched it.  If anyone can suggest a way out
I'd appreciate it.  Otherwise I'll reinstall the OS and try again.

Thanks,
Ed
--
Ed Fletcher

"Where it is a duty to worship the sun it is pretty
sure to be a crime to examine the laws of heat."
- Christopher Morley