Hi Rick,

Rick Moen writes:

> Quoting Olaf Meeuwissen (paddy-h...@member.fsf.org):
>
>> I used to mount /usr read-only on my server machines but that quickly
>> becomes a bore when you need to install security upgrades every so
>> often.
>
> Suggestion:  Make remounting an automatic part of package operations.
>
> /etc/apt/apt.conf:
>
> DPkg {
>     // Auto re-mounting of a read-only /usr
>     Pre-Invoke { "mount -o remount,rw /usr"; };
>     Post-Invoke { "test ${NO_APT_REMOUNT:-no} = yes || mount -o remount,ro
> /usr || true"; };
> };

I don't know how long this has been available but had I been aware of
it, I would have used it way back when I used to mount /usr read-only.
That's been a while ... maybe 10 years or so ;-)

Actually, staring at this, I may have done something like that and was
not quite happy with how it worked (or not) and just stopped mounting
/usr read-only.  Or maybe I just stopped putting /usr on a file system
of its own (when I started using LVM).  I honestly cannot remember why
and what.

Thanks anyway,