On Thu, Dec 21, 2017 at 12:23:17PM +0100, Didier Kryn wrote:
>     Concerning the most popular languages, I feel out of the game: the only
> one of the list I read and write is C, which is badly ranked.

And this reveals what type of developers that site is talking about: those
are folks who crank out webpages and apps, not programs.

If you take a look at for example the node.js ecosystem, it's bizarre!  It's
made of javascript frameworks that stay popular for several months, then at
most see some maintenance -- if you're lucky.

A fair comparison would be a major library like GTK.  GTK2 was released in
2002, GTK3 in 2011.  GTK4 is coming not sooner than late 2019.

QT1 1995, QT2 1999, QT3 2001, QT4 2005, QT5 2012.

And these are merely major releases that require porting but no complete
code overhauls -- while CADT frameworks involve throwing away code.

>     I also feel pretty good being a member of a minority, the minority of
> the Linux desktop users. I feel uncomfortable on Windows and Mac, and like
> to tweak my desktop.
>
>     Belonging the majority is not a valuable quest. As everyone knows, the
> majority of people are idiots :-) ; this has always been the only sensible
> argument of the opponents to democracy (which I'm not).

That majority is a different group of people.  They don't do system
programming.  They crank out something for a client rather than put decades
of their life building a solid foundation other projects can be built upon.

Those people don't build operating systems.  No wonder their mindset is
different.  Saying "the majority of developers prefer environment X" is a
worthless statistic.

Meow!
--
// If you believe in so-called "intellectual property", please immediately
// cease using counterfeit alphabets.  Instead, contact the nearest temple