Hi,

On 08/03/18 10:05, taii...@gmx.com wrote:
> In exchange for money they are now advertising and endorsing a maker of
> fake libre hardware by letting them have a booth at libreplanet an
> endorsing their debian copy "PureOS"
>
> https://libreplanet.org/2018/sponsors

Really? I am pretty positive about Purism right now, I'm not sure the
criticisms are valid.

> Purism is NOT free hardware and certainly not "grassroots" as their
> mysterious founder somehow has a bottomless pit of money to burn on
> hardware costs and propaganda campaigns.

Intel ME can be disabled up to a point, but some things must remain or
the motherboard can't boot up.  If you want completely new hardware and
not hardware that is commly available, then expect things to cost
significantly more.  As much as I don't like the considerable duopoly we
have in the mobile phone OS space, the hardware, being sold in huge
quantity, is why we can have "super" computers in our pockets without
the super, super pricing of yesteryear.

Would I like Intel and AMD to provide more free hardware, absolutely I
would.  And to disable IME as much as possible, for sure!

Purism has works in place to enable you to have a machine that you can
control the keys (not M$, not anybody else), you load your bits and
everything is 100% verified -- and you can update your bits by signing
new bits with your keys and it remains verified.

Are these things an illusion?

https://puri.sm/posts/purism-integrates-heads-security-firmware-with-tpm-giving-full-control-and-digital-privacy-to-laptop-users/

https://puri.sm/posts/librem-now-most-secure-laptop-under-full-user-with-tamper-evident-features/

> I encourage everyone who cares about the future of free computing to
> contact the FSF about this.
> Here are posts that help explain the purism situation better than I can.
> https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/3anjgm/on_the_librem_laptop_purism_doesnt_believe_in/

In IT terms, that Reddit thread started a long time ago.... perhaps it
is irrelevant these days?

> https://web.archive.org/web/20161010040458/https://blogs.coreboot.org/blog/2015/02/23/the-truth-about-purism-why-librem-is-not-the-same-as-libre/
>
> https://web.archive.org/web/20161010100959/https://blogs.coreboot.org/blog/2015/08/09/the-truth-about-purism-behind-the-coreboot-scenes/

Again, I would like more free and again those archived posts are from
2016; still relevant today?  I'm not sure they  are and even if the do
have relevance, how much is subjective and how much really matters?  I
think that Purism is heading in the right direction.

There was also quite a positive interview on "Late Night Linux" just
recently.

https://latenightlinux.com/late-night-linux-episode-31/

<quote>
Purism

We are joined by Todd Weaver who is the CEO and founder of Purism to
talk about the completely FOSS-friendly phone that they are planning to
deliver in January next year and their laptops that are available right
now. Can they really deliver something good as well as private and
secure? Todd certainly thinks they can.
</quote>

Episode 32 could be interesting too, but I haven't listened to it yet.

https://latenightlinux.com/late-night-linux-episode-32/

> Isn't it strange that purism receives so much coverage in the tech press
> but real freedom hardware gets none at all?

It has more freedom than many other options and it is targeted in the
right direction, for sure, from what I can see.

Kind Regards
AndrewM