On Fri, 18 May 2018 at 13:18:25 -0700
Rick Moen <r...@linuxmafia.com> wrote:

> Quoting Adam Borowski (kilob...@angband.pl):
>
> [the likes of GitLab:]
>
>> This wouldn't have helped.  A piece of infrastructure that's run by a
>> person who gets run over the bus, or throws a tantrum, is inaccessible
>> just the same as when hosted on GitHub.
>>
>> You need redundancy.
>
> I'm puzzled:  What about the likes of GitLab precludes redundancy?  In
> that particular instance, there are gobs of detailed documention devoted
> to that subject, e.g.,
> https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/administration/high_availability/
>
> I take the crucial need for fallbacks and elimination of SPoFs so much for
> granted that I seldom see a need to belabour that point.

  Adam Borowski's point is that if you have a single person
administering the distro's infrastructure it does not matter if the
infrastructure is an autonomous one or if it's hosted on GitHub: all the
distro's developers are still going to be locked out of the repository if
that person vanishes. It's a redundancy of people that's needed, not (just)
of infrastructure.

Alessandro