On Mon, 18 Jun 2018 14:32:31 +0200
Jaromil <jaro...@dyne.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Jun 2018, Simon Hobson wrote:
>
> > And as it happens, I had literally just been looking on Distrowatch
> > where Devuan is up to rank 11 (with 582 hits/day) over the last 7
> > days vs Debian at rank 6 with 1002 hpd. OK, it’s “just for fun” and
> > not really a measure of installed systems, but it shows that there’s
> > been steady progress up the charts.
>

> yay. Today also distrowatch has published a pretty realistic review of
> our desktop. something to learn there.

Realistic? Maybe.

But the reviewer's priorities are completely different from mine and
those of many of my friends:

What tends to leave a lasting impression with me is whether the
desktop environment, its applications and controls feel like a
cooperative, cohesive experience or like a jumble of individual tools
that happen to be part of the same operating system. In my opinion
Ubuntu running the Unity desktop and Linux Mint's Cinnamon desktop are
good
[snip]
I believe Devuan falls into the other category, presenting the user
with a collection of utilities and features where some assembly is
still required.

Yep, call me The Assembler. I like the program granularity enabling me
to easily set up my all-black-screened Openbox+Dmenu to do the way *I*
want to do them, instead of using his recommended Unity (Is this April
1?) to do it Shuttleworth's way. With his priorities, I think the
reviewer would be much happier with a Mac.

SteveT

Steve Litt
June 2018 featured book: Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
http://www.troubleshooters.com/28