On 06/30/2018 02:06 PM, Haines Brown wrote:
I've long struggled with a problem with a new installation of ascii. I
can get an ethernet connection, but with a usb WiFi dongle using an
Atheros chip, my wlan0 interface gets automatically changed to wl<mac
address>, and so cannot communicate with DHCP.

This can tie into a bug in Network Manager, but I use wicd.

I get the impression that with systemd, udev automatically assigns
predictable stable interface names, I suppose so that you can have
multiple cards or USB devices for WiFi. I am using Wireless N USB
Adapter (TPE-N150USB) dongle from ThinkPenguin.

The suggestions to deal with this is to change the udev rule for
defining the WiFi interface name. There are three methods suggested:

a) append the line "net.ifnames=0" to /etc/default/grub. I did this and
rebooted to no effect.

b) manually create your own naming scheme to name interfaces wlan0 and
place it before the default policy file. For example, name the file
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-my-net-names.rule. I did not attempt this because
I'm in over my head when it comes to defining udev rules.

c) alter the default policy for picking a different naming
scheme by copying /lib/udev/rules.d/80-net-link-setup.rules to
/etc/udev/rules.d/ and then edit it appropriately.

There is another option I do not see mentioned in this thread and that is to purge network manager and use wicd exclusively, I have done that and it works swell. 'ifconfig -a' /etc/network/interfaces

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

Cheers,
--
Jimmy Johnson

Devuan Jessie - KDE 4.14.2 - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda2
Registered Linux User #380263