On 6/13/21 1:01 PM, tito via Dng wrote:
On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 12:37:00 -0700
Fred <f...@blakemfg.com> wrote:

On 6/11/21 7:05 AM, Patrick Bartek via Dng wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 17:37:13 -0700
Fred <f...@blakemfg.com> wrote:

On 6/10/21 1:48 PM, Patrick Bartek via Dng wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 08:49:24 -0700
Fred <f...@blakemfg.com> wrote:
Hello,

I have a new Beowulf AMD64 install and am having trouble mounting
USB storage devices.

The USB keyboard and mouse work ok.  lsusb shows the storage
device is present.  The usbmount program is apparently no longer
available and I haven't been able to find what took its place.
I have another computer that had Debian Jessie installed then was
upgraded to Beowulf x86.  It has usbmount and will automatically
mount USB storage devices.

What do I need to install?

I use udisks2 to automount external USB devices.

Hi,
I found udisks2 installed on the computer that automatically mounts
USB devices but there is no man page so I would not know how to use
it if installed on the other computer.

Not much to using it: apt-get install udisks2 and everything gets
set up. I used the defaults. Devices are mounted under /media/"your
username". If you run a panel, the udisks2 gadget shows up there
with additional options. Manual unmounting is necessary, but I use
only a window manager (Openbox) and lxpanel for my GUI, so your
mileage may vary if you use a desktop environment.

Others have shown you how to access the mans.  So, I won't repeat
that.

Hello,
I still need some help with this.
I installed udisks2.  The last line of the installation dialog showed
what I believe is a warning, maybe of no consequence:

W:
http://deb.debian.org/debian/pool/main/libb/libblockdev/libblockdev-crypto2_2.20-7+deb10u1_amd64.deb:
Automatically disabled Acquire::http::Pipeline-Depth due to incorrect
response from server/proxy. (man 5 apt.conf)

The udisksd man page says the daemon is started by dbus-daemon or
systemd.  However, it is not started by inserting a USB device.  I
tried starting it manually (with USB device inserted) and received
this:

root@aragog:/home/fred# /usr/lib/udisks2/udisksd &
[1] 523
root@aragog:/home/fred# udisks-Message: 07:27:15.642: udisks daemon
version 2.8.1 starting

** (udisksd:523): WARNING **: 07:27:15.773: failed to load module
mdraid: libbd_mdraid.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such
file or directory
sh: 1: dmidecode: not found

(udisksd:523): udisks-WARNING **: 07:27:15.776: Failed to load the
'mdraid' libblockdev plugin
udisks-Message: 07:27:16.017: Acquired the name
org.freedesktop.UDisks2 on the system message bus

If that library file was needed it should have been loaded by the
installer.  I don't know what to do from here.

I use openbox and xterms if that info. is needed.

Best regards,
Fred

Hi,
try

apt install libblockdev-mdraid2

Ciao,
Tito

Hi,
Doesn't make any difference. The USB device is not mounted in /media and the udisksd daemon is not started.

Another computer that was upgraded from Debian Jessie to Beowulf x86 mounts devices in /media under one of usb0-7. The udisksd daemon is running.
Best regards,
Fred