On 01/20/2013 05:06 PM, David Conrad wrote:
A nit:

On Jan 20, 2013, at 4:35 PM, Doug Barton <do...@dougbarton.us> wrote:
ISO-3166-1 table which shows valid ccTLDs in green:
http://www.iso.org/iso/home/standards/country_codes/iso-3166-1_decoding_table.htm

Yellow ("exceptionally reserved") code elements used for ccTLDs are also
considered 'valid'.

Well, some are, some aren't; but you're right, I should have been more clear. My intention was more along the lines of, "Here is the official list from IANA, and if you feel like arguing with them, here's the ISO list to shut you up." :) While we're at it, at least 1 of the greys are valid also.

But in all seriousness, we really want people to get into the habit of checking the list at https://data.iana.org/TLD/tlds-alpha-by-domain.txt and treating that as authoritative. ICANN has done a good job of keeping that list up to date in near-real-time when a new TLD is published in the root, and the intention of that list has always been to have an easy, stable place to make a quick check for "is this a valid TLD, or not?"

This is an uphill battle which is only going to get steeper when the next round
of new TLDs is released.

It might eventually improve as folks who make broken assumptions keep getting
whined at.

Unfortunately the lessons learned in the last round have already been forgotten, as the people who were doing the coding back then have moved on. Also, the last round was small enough that it gave people an excuse to use a slightly larger hard-coded list. I know you're at least partly joking, but I think that if the new TLDs are coming fast and furious it will not only increase the whining, but perhaps spur some folks to write better code.

It's also worth pointing out that in the last round there was a concerted effort (led mostly by Afilias, but with other folks participating as well) by the new TLD registries to develop code samples, provide an active outreach effort, etc. This round of new TLD registries would be well served to do something similar.

And world peace might break out too.

~~~I'd like to teach the world to sing~~~in perfect harrrrrrmoooneeeee~~~~

:)