Kelly,

   The “fantasy tld” is a really bad idea.   There are several hundred new
tld’s coming online and the topic of “collisions” between a fake internal and
real external TLD has been the topic of much discussion (Google  “icann name
collisions”).

    I definitely vote for the registered name.   If you are worried about split
brain, most DNS software supports the concept of zones so you can ensure that
only your internal network sees your internal naming..

Wayne