On 6/23/2014 1:28 PM, Kelly Setzer wrote:
What is current thinking/accepted practice for internal domain names?

* Registered domain name (e.g., somecompany.com)
* Fantasy tld (e.g., .mycorp)
* .local (collides zeroconf/mDNS)

You missed a fourth option, which is generally my preference. Use a subdomain of an existing registered domain. I generally like is.example.com, where "IS" stands for Internal Systems, but feel free to be creative there. Generally a good idea to keep it short though.

Numerous advantages, including not having to register/maintain a new name, you control the delegation, etc.

hth,

Doug