On Sat, Oct 25, 2014 at 10:35 PM, Watson Ladd <watsonbl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 25, 2014 at 7:04 PM, Phillip Hallam-Baker
> <i...@hallambaker.com> wrote:
> > I think that we have to go back to the original goal, to reduce leakage
> of
> > information so that we only disclose where there is a need to know.
> >
> > The authoritative does not need to know who is making the request.
> >
> > The TLD does not need to know the complete query.
> >
> > At some point a recursive somewhere does need to know that a query is
> being
> > made. That puts client/resolver leakage in a different category to
> > client/authoritative.
>
> Before DPRIV: anyone who owns the DNS box at an ISP can see all
> dns-queries go through, and know who made them.
>
> After: exactly the same.
>
> Why? Because we were lazy, and solved the easy problems instead of the
> worthwhile problems.

After the box does not have to be at the ISP.

After, you get to choose.

> Yes protecting that data might warrant investigation. Yes, I and others
> can
> > suggest schemes that would provide that protection. No, this is not
> > costless. No this is not a low hanging fruit. No this should not be our
> > focus in DPRIV right now.
>
> So we shouldn't solve the problem we want to solve, because solving
> the problem we want to solve is hard, so we should solve the problem
> we can solve and fool ourselves into saying we wanted to solve it, and
> hope no one else notices? Put me down as thinking that this is a
> terrible idea.

I am not at all convinced it is a problem that the world does want to solve.

By which I mean , wants to solve badly enough to fund the necessary
resources.

I have a protocol, sure. But I don't have a business model that is likely
to drive the deployment for general purpose adoption.