On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 3:50 PM, Christian Huitema <huit...@huitema.net> wrote:
>> Which is why I propose what is in effect a STLS (Staleless TLS) in
>> which each UDP request packet (optionally) contains the full state
>> required to decrypt it at the server.
>
> Without going in the details, there are two types of solution to the anycast
> problem: either some form of pinning, so requests from a given context are
> guaranteed to arrive at the server with that context; or, somehow ensuring
> that the requests carry enough state that they can be understood by any
> server in the pool.
>
> I understand how to do pinning: a first transaction to the anycast address
> returns the unicast address of the relevant server. Not perfect, because it
> adds a roundtrip during the initial setup, but easy to understand.

I am not too bothered about the initial setup. That is a one off thing
that can happen as soon as the IP stack is initialized. Even doing it
in application space there is usually a gap between someone starting a
browser and clicking on a link.

> I am not sure about the way to carry "enough state in each request."

Kerberos tickets, or rather an opaque blob that the service can put
whatever format ticket it likes.

>Especially if we want to do PFS, which means negotiating different session
>keys over time. I assume that the client could learn a "temporary key" that is
>understood by all servers in the pool, and use that to encrypt the messages.
>But then that requires a fair bit of coordination between the servers in the
>anycast pool.

How much PFS do you want? Easy enough to rotate a kerberized ticket on
an hourly basis or so.