On Mon, Apr 9, 2018 at 1:53 PM Christian Huitema <huit...@huitema.net>
wrote:

> At first sight, it seems that this moves the logging hole from the DNS
> recursive to the ODNS recursive, and that's a meh.
>
> Also, instead of using a complicated tunneling through the recursive
> resolver via name obfuscation, why not establish a secure connection to the
> ODNS server in the first place?

The ODNS server doesn't know the client IP (it gets occluded by the
rescursive server), and the rescursive doesn't know the question. This is
kinda somewhat similar to the Tor model.

This is a fairly common question - I think that the ODNS documents / people
should clarify this better.

> -- Christian Huitema
>
> On Apr 9, 2018, at 10:25 AM, Allison Mankin <allison.man...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Annie, Nick and Paul all plan to be at the Hackathon and the IETF in
> Montreal.  This is work I'm also involved in, and we are working on an i-d
> for DPRIVE, to come soon.
>
> Allison
>
> On 9 April 2018 at 18:20, Daniel Kahn Gillmor <d...@fifthhorseman.net>
> wrote:
>
>> hey DPRIVE folks--
>>
>> People on this list might be interested in the recent "Oblivious DNS"
>> work from Annie Edmundson, Paul Schmitt, and Nick Feamster:
>>

>> https://freedom-to-tinker.com/2018/04/02/a-privacy-preserving-approach-to-dns/
>>
>> https://odns.cs.princeton.edu/
>>
>> This was presented at DNS-OARC 28 in March 2018.
>>
>>      --dkg

I don't think the execution is relevant when it was obviously a bad idea in
the first place.
regret at having chosen those particular rabid weasels and that pair of
pants.
   ---maf