Paul Hoffman <paul.hoff...@icann.org> wrote:

> I do not have a scenario where the client (the resolver in this case)
> needs downgrade protection for privacy.

In that case there's no need to worry about authentication at all.
(But I disagree.)

More generally, I don't think the term "opportunistic" is very helpful,
because there are several useful levels:

* cleartext

* unauthenticated - the client auto-discovers encryption is available, but
doesn't have any way to reliably authenticate the server; an attacker can
force the client to downgrade to cleartext.

* authenticated - there is an explicit signal (e.g. DANE, STS) that the
server supports properly authenticated encryption; an attacker can deny
service but not force a downgrade to cleartext.

* pre-configured

The end goal we should be aiming for is as much authenticated encryption
as possible, but it's reasonable to allow unuathenticated encryption as an
intermediate step.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <d...@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/
safeguard the balance of nature and the environment