Hi Ben,

On Mon, 2020-08-10 at 10:07 -0400, Ben Schwartz wrote:
> I do not support adopting this draft as-is.  I think this construction is
> very clever, and points us in the right direction for authentication, but
> it's extremely inflexible in regard to the transport protocol and key
> updates.  As the draft notes, "a change in TLS keys on an auth may require DS
> updates for thousands or even hundreds of thousands of domains", which may
> not be under the administrative control of the authoritative server operator.
>  This seems likely to make key rotation effectively impossible in many
> potential deployments, as rotation cannot occur until _all_ customers have
> updated their zones.
>
> This draft could be suitable for "experimental" status, but for a "standards
> track" document I think we should start with a design that addresses these
> problems.

Because I still believe this approach would work for many domain owners, I
think experimental would make perfect sense, but at this point I'm unsure the
WG even has appetite for that, and that is very understandable.

(and I agree with Paul Hoffman and others that we have plenty of proposals,
fully worked out or not, but not a lot of agreement on what the actual shape is
of the problem we are solving.)

Kind regards,
--
Peter van Dijk