On Jul 31, 2023, at 8:29 AM, Eric Vyncke (evyncke)
<evyncke=40cisco....@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:
> # Shepherd's write-ip
>

> The shepherd's write-up states "the WG would like to ensure that this list
> remains in the document once it is published as an RFC" but the appendix A
> states "RFC Editor: please remove this section before publication". I.e., the
> shepherd's write-up and the I-D MUST be coherent ;-)
>
> EV> we do need the shepherd's write-up and I-D being consistent on this
> point. *Let me know when either the shepherd's write-up or the I-D is
> modified.*

You and the shepherd are already discussing this on the mailing list.

> # Section 1.1
>
> I am always uneasy with the use of BCP14 normative language outside of a
> standard track or BCP document.
>
> EV> I have read Paul's reply, as long as authors are aware, let it be. Expect
> some non-blocking comments by some ADs during the IESG evaluation.

This is a ripe topic for a statement from the various RFC stream managers so
that we document authors will know what to expect. I do hope those comments are
non-blocking.

> # Section 3
>
> This was probably discussed over the mailing list, but must DoT & DoQ replies
> be also identical to Do53 replies ? The current text is a little
> underspecified.
>
> Paul> The last paragraph of Section 3 says "An authoritative server
> implementing DoT or DoQ MUST authoritatively serve the same zones over all
> supported transports." How should we say that differently to be more specfied?
>
> EV> I still find the text a little unclear about the returned DNS replies
> (e.g., the answer section must be identical in Do53 and DoT). I am leaving
> the choice to the authors about whether to add further clarification text.

Got it: "serve the same zones" versus "have the same replies". We'll make that
change in -10.

> # Section 3.5
>
> Expect some comments during the IESG review if the SHOULDs do not have some
> wording about when the SHOULDs does not apply.
>
> EV> thanks, Paul, for explaining the somehow convoluted/complex clause "this
> might be limited by e.g. not receiving an EDNS(0) option in the query". You
> may consider rendering it easier to parse though.

Sure, I'll make a run at that for -10 as well.

> # Section 4.2
>
> Is there any chance to also use an IPv6 example ?
>
> EV> Obviously, there was no chance ;-)

We chose to keep the examples consistent with each other.

I'll prep a -10, and we'll submit it next week.

--Paul Hoffman