On 06/05/16 12:58, Jaroslaw Polok wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 06/05/16 12:40, Dreamcat4 wrote:
>

>> Perhaps later down the line (once more people get onboard and can start
>> using it), then this pxe UEFI mode can be improved even further. Either
>> buy some fresh eyes coming along to fix problems in ipxe.efi, or else
>> here in the dnsmasq behaviour. Or both. But we need to make it easier
>> for those guys to run it at least, so can see ahead to the next problem.
>
> In case you would be interested:
>
> http://lists.thekelleys.org.uk/pipermail/dnsmasq-discuss/2016q1/010383.html
>
> That is my version of the patch, using a configuration option
> to allow more fine-grained control on how systems boot
> (by optionally matching by tag and/or architecture).
>
> We are using that patch in production since two months
> successfully booting all PXE/UEFI systems (x64 and aarch64)
> we have used so far (about 10 different x64 and 3 different
> aarch64 systems, plus qemu-kvm with Tianocore firmware)
>
> Dear Simon: would it be possible to review and include one
> of this patches in dnsmasq please ?

Yes, That's the last thing on my list to do before I start to release
2.76. You and Dreamcat are going to have to help me though, since I
don't have a usable test environment for this stuff, and my PXE
knowledge is buried under several years of other stuff.

My main question is, is there a way to make this work without needing
the --pxe-skip-menu option. I appreciate that this engages a workaround
for buggy UEFI netboot implementations, but what's wrong with doing that
automatically when there's only one possible boot? Are we loosing
functionality (maybe with a hypothetical fully working BIOS) by doing that?

Cheers,

Simon.