Dnsmasq doesn't implement RECONFIGURE. It probably should. The main
problem, from a quick look at the RFC, is that RECONFIGURE mandates use
of security mechanism, and dnsmasq doesn't implement that either!

The intention is that address change is a gradual process. The old
address gets deprecated whilst the new one is added, and after a while
the old address disappears. DHCP lease times are shorter than the time
taken for an address to disappear. This gives time for hosts to move to
the new address.

What's happening in your case seems a bit brutal. Even if you can push
the change to all the clients fast, you're still going to break every
on-going connection at address-change time.

Cheers,

Simon.