Hi,

I have a fresh installation of Ubuntu 18.04 on Google Cloud Platform.
I have compiled the latest version of dnsmasq with the following
configuration:

no-resolv
server=8.8.8.8
conf-file=/usr/share/dnsmasq-base/trust-anchors.conf
dnssec

I stop systemd-resolved, run dnsmasq and issue the following command:

dig @127.0.0.1 pir.org

After that there's a long pause, and the result comes back with the
following line at the top of dig:

;; Truncated, retrying in TCP mode.

dnsmasq log says:

dnsmasq: reducing DNS packet size for nameserver 8.8.8.8 to 1280

If I run this, dig comes back immediately with no pause and no TCP mode:

dig @8.8.8.8 pir.org

Any ideas why the first dig command has problems and the second dig
command is fine?

Thanks in advance.