Mark Andrews wrote:

        We should be looking at mechanisms to allow the root zone to
        be distributed to every iterative resolver in the world.

        You then don't have to use AS112 to absorb the load.  The local
        resolver will answer the query.

For the last two years we have been advocating just that. Root should be broadly distributed. But even with that AS112 would still be needed to redirect some errors. If only ICANN used AS112 to redirect bogus request they would see less of a load. Right now AS112 is mainly available to those who willing participate. Not many do. Not many know about AS112.

regards
joe baptista

--
Joe Baptista                                www.publicroot.org
PublicRoot Consortium

begin:vcard
fn:Joe Baptista
n:Baptista;Joe
org:PublicRoot Consortium
adr:;;963 Ford Street;Peterborough;Ontario;K9J 5V5 ;Canada
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:PublicRoot Representative
tel;fax:+1 (509) 479-0084
tel;cell:+1 (416) 912-6551