Edward Lewis wrote:
> At 12:57 -0800 12/3/07, Brian Dickson wrote:
>
>> What are the pros/cons of this, other than the obvious offloading
>> of junk TLD lookups?
>
>  From http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0310/pdf/wessels.pdf:
>
> See (unnumbered) slide "Punchline from Last Year's Talk":
>
> Category            Percent of Total (see slide for all cat's)
> Unknown TLD          12.5
> Legitimate            2.15
>
> Of course, that is 2002/2003 data.
>
> 6:1 "bad TLD" to "good query."  Off-loading bad TLDs from the roots is a
> big win.  As with any research citation, I encourage readers to look it
> up too - to see if you agree with what I yanked out.

Sorry for the late response. About this matter, using the data collected
at the root server instances participating in DITL 2007, we found 24.73%
of the queries seen at the roots were for invalid TLD's.

Doing an analysis per root, the numbers vary

C-root          19.15%
F-root          46.79%
K-root          10.01%
M-root          20.96%

within the queries for invalid TLD, the distribution is

local           20.29%
localhost        8.92%
domain           3.15%
invalid          2.43%
lan              2.06%
belkin           1.76%
home             1.30%
localdomain      1.29%
wpad             0.74%
txt              0.74%

You may want to check the presentation including this numbers at
http://public.oarci.net/files/workshop-2007/Castro-DITL2007-analysis.pdf

Regards
Sebastian Castro, CAIDA