Douglas
> Otis
> Sent: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 2:18 PM
> To: Doug Barton
> Cc: dnsop; Shane Kerr
> Subject: Re: [DNSOP] Draft on rDNS for IPv6: draft-howard-isp-ip6rdns-00
>
> Saying IPv6 reverse DNS is not considered a practical means to determine
> legitimate IP address use needs to be either stated or refuted.

It would probably devolve into a debate of "legitimate."
Maybe we could try the reverse:  "IPv6 is a practical means to determine
useful information."  What useful information is expected?   I'm trying
to describe the best current practice.

> DNS
> timeouts already consume a large portion of MTA resources when
> attempting to discover reverse DNS entries.  When IPv6 forces use of
> positive reputations, reverse DNS entries become superfluous.  Negative
> reputations within the IPv6 address space also seems impractical,
> largely due to the scale of the space involved.

I agree.  Is there documentable consensus on that point?

Lee