On Wed, Sep 02, 2009 at 09:03:12AM -0400,
 Edward Lewis <ed.le...@neustar.biz> wrote
 a message of 67 lines which said:

> Without zone transfers, this approach lacks interoperability.  The
> master and slaves have to be the same make.

No, they have "only" to use the same algorithm. One can be in C++ as a
PowerDNS back-end and another to be written completely in Perl's
Net::DNS.

On Wed, Sep 02, 2009 at 05:19:30PM -0400,
 a message of 58 lines which said:

> The WG sputters so much about middleboxes, proxies, etc. that
> implement a curbed version of DNS and cry that they are the root of
> many ills (UDP fragmentation, capping port 53 traffic to 512
> bytes). Then we turn around and say it's okay to put a hobbled DNS
> on port 53.

I'm not sure of the exact meaning of "hobbled" but I suspect it is
derogatory. You seem to imply that a "custom" DNS server (implementing
rules like s/^3ffe:cafe:cafe:\(.*\)$/$1.customer.isp.example/) are
always written from scractch, using the bits on the bare metal. Far
from it, they typically use a framework allowing the author to just
express his/her business rules while the software takes care of the
DNS details. Systems like PowerDNS or evldns work that way. Therefore,
a server written with them complies with the DNS protocol is certainly
not "hobbled" and absolutely not comparable with a broken middlebox.

There are deployment issues with these "custom" DNS servers but
no ressemblance to the problems exposed in RFC 5625.