At 11:49 -0400 9/3/09, Lee Howard wrote:
 -----Original Message-----
 From: dnsop-boun...@ietf.org ... On Behalf Of Edward Lewis

 1) Zone transfers?

Is this a requirement for IP6.ARPA zones used for residential users?

Kind of.

To achieve a sufficient number "9's" of availabilty (that is "99.9" or "99.999") more than one source of data is needed. That is, you could have just one server for an IPv6 range but then it is a single point of failure. Most DNS zones are on at least 2 servers - deep in the tree. The root zone is on 100's (13 visible at any one place at a a time), TLDs usually about a half-dozen (visible plus anycast).

If there is no zone transfer, an admin would have to manually get the multiple sources to be in sync some other way. The admin could use things like RSYNC, but that means that the constellation is running in a "special mode" and if the admin is on vacation it might be hard to fix.

It's safest to always have zone transfer defined for any DNS extension as this is the only means to provide interoperability and "in-band" maintenance of the system.

Kind of - in the sense that it is a really good idea and is strongly encouraged.

 2) Dynamic update?

Mutually exclusive per zone.  For any given zone, you can either generate
on the fly, or support dynamic updates.  If you want both, you'll have to
number them out of different scopes, which may not be as bad as it sounds.

This is a question more based on things like Active Directory. This is not so vital, but given that "incrementalism" is growing in importance it would be a desired feature. In this case, I'd like to be able to add new synthesis rules on the fly (as opposed to DHCP lease information).

 3) DNSSEC?

 I think such synthesis is the way to go.  The problem is usually
 keeping a constellation of servers synchronized with respect to the
 synthesis rules, keeping up with changes, and signing the data.

I'd like to see more on this topic.

Me too. I don't mean to shoot down what Fujiwara-san has suggested. I am shooting down the notion that "what we have now is good enough." Perhaps this is the next major incremental addition to the DNS protocol - a more general synthesis mechanism. (I envision something involving NAPTR...it has the seeds we need.)