LJ> http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-livingood-negative-trust-anchors-00.txt

LJ> Feel free to share any other questions or feedback.

I too like the idea behind it, and have the following suggestions to
support it:

1) In addition to the following statement:

       Furthermore, a Negative Trust Anchor should
       be used only for a short duration, perhaps for a day or less.

   I'd go ahead and insert MUST/SHOULD/MAY language as well (realizing
   that if there is a document people will ignore it in, this is likely
   to be one).  And then add some timing constraints too [reading the
   rest of the thread after typing this, I note that Shane also
   suggested an end time, but the proposal below also imposes a maximum
   end-time allowable].

   Suggested rewrite:

       Furthermore, a Negative Trust Anchor MUST only be used for a
       short duration, perhaps for a day or less.  Implementations MUST
       require an end-time configuration associated with any negative
       trust anchor.  Implementations SHOULD limit the maximum time into
       the future to one day.  In other words, the configuration
       directive will be invalid if it is missing an end-time or if the
       end time is greater than "now" plus 86400 seconds.

2) I also suggest you rename the concept to "Negative Anchors of Trust"
   and then sprinkle the document with statements like the following:

       NATs are not an appropriate long-term solution and if they need to be
       used, they MUST be used only for short periods of time.

   (it's the two-birds-with-one-stone theory of RFC writing)

--
Wes Hardaker
SPARTA, Inc.