On Mon, 8 Oct 2012, bert hubert wrote:

'automatic binding to ALL IPv4 and IPv6 addresses'. We do so using the
setsockopt/sendmsg/recvmsg flags that allow for the capturing of the 'real'
destination address of a packet received in 0.0.0.0 or ::.

In attempting to implement this, we found missing documentation, wrong
documentation and odd #defines that are required on some platforms.

I've bundled the whole story in a blogpost on
http://bert-hubert.blogspot.com/2012/10/on-binding-datagram-udp-sockets-to-any.html

My question is: do any of the implementors have anything to add to this
page? Especially DNS relevant things.

It seems you implemented pretty much what openswan has been doing for
a long time, which was based on work done for freeradius by Miquel van
Smoorenburg.

http://git.openswan.org/cgi-bin/cgit/openswan/tree/lib/libopenswan/udpfromto.c

but perhaps read through the code to compare? Perhaps this code should
be put into a library we can all use independantly, as people seem to
copy this functionality over and over again.

I did not know about __APPLE_USE_RFC_3542, which I've just added to my tree.

Thanks for sharing,

Paul