On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 08:57:59AM +1100, Mark Andrews wrote:
> > I did not know about __APPLE_USE_RFC_3542, which I've just added to my tree.
>
> It tells the compiler which version of the advanced API to use as
> of Lion from memory.  You also have similar magic on Linux as the
> advanced socket API is not available by default.

These days it is, it appears? I did not have to do a #define at least on the
platforms I compile on.

Paul, the MiquelS sample you mentioned no longer compiles (or at least
doesn't work), which is why I decided to do a writeup.  I know I did not
invent anything, I only wanted to document it all in one place.

Regarding RFCs, there is also http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc5014.txt which
provides an API for selecting temporary IPv6 addresses etc, this might
be interesting for resolvers.

Regarding Windows, it has been noted here that they don't implement RFC
3542, but they do have IP_PKTINFO since Windows 2003 it appears:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh285668(v=vs.85).aspx

Regarding Solaris, I find that 'recent versions' do have IP_PKTINFO. I also
see people mention that it supports RFC 3542, but have not checked.

If anyone can confirm that it works well in production, please let me know
and I'll update the blog post.

Thanks!