On 2014-02-17, at 11:58, joel jaeggli <joe...@bogus.com> wrote:

> On 2/16/14, 8:48 AM, Joe Abley wrote:
>
>> We can't do anything that will cause larger responses, because EDNS
>> support is not widespread, and in any case the network can't reliably
>> deliver fragments.
>
> in the context of reflection attacks (next paragraph) more packets is
> perhaps not the most helpful thing.

The problem to solve at the DNS end of the equation boils down to good enough
client authentication to be able to distinguish between attack traffic and
legitimate queries. The problem is not "how to stop putting things in the DNS".

Waiting for the universal implementation of the recommendations in BCP38
doesn't seem like the most proactive approach.

Joe