In message <20140218234946.10461.qm...@f5-external.bushwire.net>, "Mark Delany"
 writes:
> On 19Feb14, Mark Andrews allegedly wrote:
> > The process for getting a new type hasn't been *hard* for a decade
> > now.
> >
> > Nameserver developers have been deploying new types quickly for
> > over a decade now.
> >
> > Recursive servers have had the bugs w.r.t. handling unknown types
> > removed over a decade ago.
>
> Apart from the web-panels I'd say that the biggest bugbear is CPE such
> as DSL/cable modems. Having conducted some experiments recently, my
> observation is that some of these** have pretty atrocious cache/proxy
> implementations. I had to drop the idea of using PTR for a particular
> application because one implementation of dnsproxy assumes that PTR is
> only ever valid in in-addr.arpa space (it had plenty of other bugs
> too, but that's another story).
>
> I see now that some newer CPE defaults to 8.8.8.8 - at least that
> eliminates the local implementation bugs...

And I would have gone ahead and implemented it as Autralian Consumer
Law requires a product to be fit for purpose and this modem clearly
wasn't.  The retailer need to refund or replace at the consumers
discression.  Once these !#!@$ boxes get sent back there will be
supply chain presure to fix the problems.

> Mark.
>
> ** The irony won't be lost on you, Mark, that your neighbours are
>    probably running with that bug since I found it in a popular DSL
>    modem sold in Australia/SE Asia.

Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: ma...@isc.org