On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 10:18 AM, Joe Abley <jab...@hopcount.ca> wrote:

> On the authority side, support for this option has a potential impact on
> query load. On the recursive side, support for this option has a potential
> impact on cache size.

Just to add some limited data; CloudFront (a large CDN) has been using
EDNS0 client subnet for a few months now, and publically announced a month
ago. In general, the uptick on the authority side has been surprisingly
modest.

> With multiple implementations, there are interop issues.

We've noticed some inconsistency around the subnet lengths being required
in responses, but nothing unmanageable. In general, it's been pretty smooth!

The biggest operational problem is probably a lack of support in diagnostic
tools, with an RFC, I'm hopeful we could get a patch into the standard
version of dig - which would be useful for debugging and so on.

There might also be a place for an informational document/rfc on
source-dependent answers in general. For example, even for those who
believe that source dependent answers has a place, having source-dependent
NS, DS records or delegation paths can be just plain unworkable.

--
Colm