Paul Hoffman wrote:
> On Jul 9, 2014, at 1:47 PM, Paul Vixie <p...@redbarn.org> wrote:
>
>> i don't know how to state the case more clearly. my answer is not "no" as
>> you surmise. the cost of the recursive solution is high and the benefit low.
>> the cost of the authoritative solution is low and the benefit high.
>
> a) You didn't actually calculate the cost of the recursive solution, you
> simply pulled a large number of servers needed out of thin air.

about 20M IP addresses answer as "open recursive". most of these are low
quality CPE and other servers without skilled operators. i don't believe
that the rdns-root proposal is aimed at this set of users, but if it is,
we've got a NOTIFY problem as well as a debugging problem.

to the best of my knowledge opendns and google dns already operate as
stealth secondaries for the root, not that they can answer AA for root
data, but that they don't need to ask a real root name server for any
TLD information, and they can generate NXDOMAIN without having to swim
upstream to get a purpose built NXDOMAIN for the root. if not, both
should. if the rdns-root proposal is aimed at this set of users, then
that's great, it just needs an applicability statement similar in
concept to the one i suggested up-thread.

the middle of the market is where we lose cognitive traction. from my
point of view this set of operators is not skilled enough, and is not
ever going to be skilled enough, to both configure and operate and audit
and debug a stealth root slave. the freebsd experiment proved this to my
satisfaction, though i was previously informed on this topic by selling
BIND support for a decade or two. but if we imagine that the skills gap
could be closed with good documentation and good software, the portion
of the internet that can be isolated from root name server reachability
errors using this approach is still very small -- and the roll out time
for vendors like nominum, microsoft, infoblox, ISC and others to inform
their customers of this option is measured in years. and the total mass
of held state in terms of software revisions, version numbers, stored
content has a multiplier in the tens of thousands if not hundreds of
thousands.

there's no thin air here.

based on the freebsd experiment with stealth root zone service, it can't
scale. (the freebsd community is Very Smart in the grand scheme of
things.) whereas based on the AS112 experience with unowned anycast,
that approach can scale -- all we needed was DNSSEC so as to erase the
temptation of local root operators to amend the zone content in any way.

> b) You didn't say why would need any fewer authoritative servers to get the
> same benefit.

i said why fewer authoritative servers would have a greater benefit.

> If the goal is to get the correct answers for root queries closer to more
> users, both proposals do that.

i'd like a small number of operators to be able to effect internet-wide
improvement, and specifically, i'd like a moderate number of edge
network operators to be able to offer root name service to their
rdns-running populations without them having to pirate the address space
of an existing root name server operator.

i want to avoid having this burden shift to every single rdns operator
who wants the benefit of better access to root zone content, because (a)
the world's supply of rdns operators motivated and skilled enough to do
that is insignificant; (b) the complexity of configuration and
monitoring and debugging will scale with the affected population; and
(c) the affected population will be extremely small compared to the size
of (for example) the affected population of the AS112 system.

so my goal is different -- both more broad and more narrow -- than the
goal you're describing.

i'll stop here. feel free to have the last word.

vixie