Tony Finch wrote:

> BIND 9.10 changes the first state to do variable-size probing: it
> will try 512, 1232, 1432, and 4096, starting at the bottom and
> working up and down depending on what works. The middle numbers come
> from the minimum IPv6 MTU minus space for headers, and the ethernet
> MTU minus v4 and v6 headers to allow for tunneling.

Your assumption is that there is no extension headers exist.

But, the problem of current IPv6 specification allows for very
long extension headers (more than 60KB is allowed), some of
which are automatically inserted not under transport/application
layer control.

So, as Fernando Gont wrote:

> While this issue/question may be currently masqueraded by the fact
> that we still have IPv4, I wonder what's "the plan" for the IPv6 case
> (at some point, we'll have to rely on whatever such plan is).

The first thing to do is to obsolete extension headers and
related gotcha in IPv6 specification.

Even a fragmentation header has annoying requirement.

                                                Masataka Ohta