i think there's a necessary and healthy tension between the installed
base and new technology. i would not like to see every new application
designed to run inside TCP/80, even though that's the only universal
wide area protocol. and we won't see any new application that requires a
forklift upgrade of the whole internet before it can be used -- no market.

in this case i think mark's approach is right, because it works better
for people who fix their firewalls, but it finds a way to work, no
matter what. this puts a little bit of pressure on middlebox makers who
mindlessly constrain future protocols.

sardonically, the reason i chose fragmentation for EDNS rather than a
new MD (More Data) bit in the flags and a new "fragment number N of M"
option in the OPT RR, is that i imagined getting EDNS deployed in less
than five years. now that it's been almost fifteen years and we're still
fiddling with it, i can see that i made the wrong choice in RFC 2671.

vixie