On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 10:03 PM, Paul Vixie <p...@redbarn.org> wrote:

> On Monday, October 26, 2015 10:15:37 AM Ray Bellis wrote:
> > On 26/10/2015 09:52, I wrote:
> > > That's clear - what isn't perhaps, is what the RCODE should be, given
> > > that this text is in a section with "Name Error" in its title.
> >
> > For what it's worth, I expect the answer to be NOERROR, but I think the
> > text that lumps empty-non-terminals in with "name error" causes
> > sufficient ambiguity and confusion that an errata may be in order.
>
> strong +1.
>
> names that don't exist can't have children.

I agree, however I'm slightly amused that we are having this discussion in
2015. Is there anyone that is claiming that the response code for empty
non-terminals should not be NOERROR. Yes, there are some CDNs and hosting
providers that currently issue Name Error for empty non-terminals, but
every one of them I've spoken to has positively acknowledged that this is a
defect that they are planning to fix.

If we need to provide a reference, RFC 4592, Section 2.2.2 has a pretty
good treatment of empty non-terminals (updating 1034), that pretty
definitively states that they exist, and thus their response code cannot be
Name Error.

Shumon.