In one of the experiments we are conducting we stuff the response with other
QTYPE data and this seems to not interfere with resolver behaviour (unless we
trigger it). So #3 doesn’t seem to be a common case (we could look in the
fringes for this behaviour).

Towards the resolver’s clients, all extraneous data gets cleaned out of the
response, which is quite sane behaviour in the current DNS. Have not tested
what the resolver does with the data (keep it in cache, something in between #1
and #2, or discard it altogether, as in #2).

Joao