On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 10:51 PM, John Levine <jo...@taugh.com> wrote:

> >As I think many here know, I am not of the get-off-my-lawn persuasion
> >for DNS innovations.  I don't think it's a bad idea in principle.  I'm
> >just aware that we have this long history, and that history was based
> >on a certain kind of conservatism that is arguably appropriate to a
> >technology quite as fundamental to the Internet functioning as the DNS
> >is.  If we're going to abandon that conservatism, I think it needs
> >quite a lot more early IETF buy-in than we might get by developing
> >this work here in DNSOP.  The more signal we can get to suggest that
> >DNS actors are ok with the innovation, the lower I think that bar gets.
>
> I'd be a lot more comfortable if we had some field test data about
> what real DNS caches do with the extra AAAA records.  In theory
> nothing bad should happen, in practice ...
>
> John
The next step is experimentation, we wanted to see if the community thought
this was a stupid idea before going forward.
There are 3 possible outcomes when a DNS querier gets an aswer like this
#1 It accepts everything from authority section
#2 It tosses the non queried RRset
#3 it Rejects the answer and tries again

If the result is #1 nothing needs to be done
For #2 that means convincing the software vendors to adopt more relaxed
approach
On the other hand if #3 is the case for a significant part of the
infrastructure we can not do this w/o signaling

Olafur