>>- The IETF decides whether the proposal is technically sound or not
>>- There is a .alt domain with a registry. Protocols can go there first come,
>>  first served, as long as there is consensus that the proposal is technicall
>>  sound.
>
>Developers will say to heck with that, and just pick a name and use
>it, like they've been doing all along.  If we want people to use .alt
>we need to make the friction as low as possible.  If there are a lot
>of technically lame .alt hacks in the registry with overlapping names,
>so be it.
>
>Remember that we are not the Protocol Police, and neither is anyone else.

If people want names without going through the IETF they should talk to
ICANN. ICANN can just as well set up a .free-for-all registery.

IETF is about protocols, not names. So I can see room for a special
purpose domain like .alt, but why would you open that for people
who can't be bothered to create a sensible protocol.

I see .alt more as a way for the IETF to have some reserved space for
future protcols and have all regular proposals deal with ICANN to get
their name. Though it may make sense for the ICANN community to require a
standards track protocol before they assign any top level name.