IETF is about protocols, not names. So I can see room for a special
purpose domain like .alt, but why would you open that for people
who can't be bothered to create a sensible protocol.

So they don't pollute the rest of the DNS namespace with their silly designs, of course. Once again, we are not the Network Police, and we cannot keep people from doing whatever they want, even if we think it's dumb. The best we can do here is try to channel the damage, and tell people that if they use .alt, we promise they'll never collide with a domain allocated by ICANN.

I see .alt more as a way for the IETF to have some reserved space for
future protcols and have all regular proposals deal with ICANN to get
their name. Though it may make sense for the ICANN community to require a
standards track protocol before they assign any top level name.

You might want to re-read the .alt draft. That is not at all what it's about. Also, it seems utterly implausible to ask ICANN to do protocol management. In 100% of the domains they've delegated so far, it's plain old RFC 1034/1035 DNS.

Regards,
John Levine, jo...@taugh.com, Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY